Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sensation Comics #1

In 1974 Lyle Stuart, Inc. of Secaucus, New Jersey published a tabloid-sized hardcover reprint of Sensation Comics #1.

I found a copy in a gift shop at Sea World in Orlando Florida in 1976 and bought it for $5.00. 

I must have read this book a hundred times. I carried it with me everywhere I went that summer. For years afterward I'd dig it out and re-read it. 

Sensation Comics #1 was originally published in January, 1942 by J.R. Publishing Company, Lafayette Street, New York, NY (the company had not yet consolidated itself under the name of DC Comics). 

The book is 64 pages long, with six stories between 4 to 13 pages, each featuring different adventure-oriented characters. 

The most famous and enduring of these characters is Wonder Woman. The others are mostly second-string superheroes, with a couple period-drama swashbucklers thrown in for a bit of dash.

It's a charming book, full of crude but invigorating art and story. Maybe someday I'll re-read it and see if I can still find the magic in it.

Because it is about magic. Comics are just one of its talismanic props.

1 comment:

jim kosmicki said...

Thank you -- I bought most of the tabloid reprints when they came out, but this was my favorite. I thought all of the strips were at least interesting, and most were quite good. I look forward to hearing your comments