Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Day at the Races



Here's a preliminary sketch of a page by Tim Durning from the upcoming Powerpop Comics Classics adaptation of Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow."

Tim's an amazing artist. I love the way he handles the lighting effects. I also love how he draws horses.

We are nearing the climactic chase scene, and I can't wait to see it.

When you think about it, comics and horse-chases just go together.

Comics excel at depicting the movement of physical bodies in space. That's why superheroes and slapstick both work so well in the form.

Horses are these beautiful, athletic, well-muscled creatures with enormous physical grace and power--nature's superheroes, if you will.

If I accomplish nothing else with Powerpop Comics, at least I managed to bring back the classical horse-chase scene. Comics needs more horse-chases!

No comments: